Saturday 30 May 2015

Steamed Tofu with Egg 嫩豆腐蒸蛋


I have recently started on the road to a healthier lifestyle, being more mindful of what I put in my mouth and exercise more regularly. I am watching my diet, making sure I increase my protein and fibre intake, but lower carb and reduce fat and sugar intake. Since young, my diet is mainly high in carb, low protein, low fibre. I am a rice, noodles, bread person, so it is quite challenging to plan my meals to cater to my diet and the rest of the family.





I came across this Steamed Tofu with Egg recipe from a book on eating well and weight loss programme. It is such a simple dish and rather similar to the usual steamed tofu and egg I have prepared. The only difference is, this recipe uses only egg whites and I have never tried steaming tofu with mushrooms. This dish is high in protein with the tofu and egg whites and yet low in calories. There is no oil and salt is the only seasoning used.

Since I cook this dish for my family, I replaced the egg whites with whole egg (and I do not want to have any leftover egg yolks). I have also used more tofu since the blocks of tofu available here usually come in 300g packs.



The original recipe is meant for a weight loss programme and the dish can be served along with some brown rice. I served it for my family of four as a side dish instead. This is a simple and healthy dish that is enjoyed by everyone in my family, especially my elder son. I am rather surprised that he likes this as he has quite a well developed palate. This dish has now become our new regular on our dining table :)



Steamed Tofu with Egg 嫩豆腐蒸蛋

Ingredients:
(serves 4 as a side dish)

200g silken tofu (I used 300g which is 1 block of tofu)
2 egg whites (I used 1 whole egg)
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt (according to taste)
1 shiitake mushroom (fresh or dried)
1 red chili, sliced
1 teaspoon black sesame seeds (I used white)


Method:
  • Wash and cut fresh shiitake mushroom into slices (presoak dried shiitake mushroom if using).
  • Mash silken tofu with a folk. Add in lightly beaten egg/egg whites.
  • Add salt, mushroom slices, chili slices and sesame seeds. Mix to combine.
  • Place mixture in serving dish and steam at high heat for 10mins. Sprinkle with some sesame seeds, ground black pepper (optional), before serving.
Recipe source: adapted from 吃三天瘦一圈 by 李承桓





10 comments:

The Experimental Cook said...

Interesting I have never thought of steaming tofu like that and I should really try one of these days. I think eating in moderation with adequate exercise is the key to good health. And of course, feeling positive about things helps :-). Not that I am already doing that but it is an ongoing endeavour for me.

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi The Experimental Cook, very well said! I also believe in eating in moderation :)

Kimmy said...

Hi HHB, I'll keep in mind this recipe when I bake kuih bangkit which only uses egg yolks. The whites can be used up with this recipe. Thanks for sharing. Just exercise without watching one's diet isn't enough. Let's all stay healthy with healthy diet....

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Kimmy, I have no luck with kuih bangkit, don't seem to be able to get the right texture :( I agree with you and I came to understand that we have to adjust our diet as we age in order to stay healthy.

Rumbling Tummy said...

Yes my granny used to steam it this way. Hers is very light and easy to eat, unfortunately she is no longer here to teach me. Shall try yours some day.

Anonymous said...

I've discovered that eating white rice and refined carbohydrates like bread makes me hungry faster than eating brown rice. I've switched to eating brown rice but you have to experiment with the amount of water & time used to boil the rice so that it's soft and fluffy instead of hard and dry.
I reduced eating fatty foods like deep fry, pan fry, sweets like cakes, fruits etc and consume more vegetables and fish. After 6 months I've slimmed down and my taste buds are gradually adjusting to bland foods.
It's a long journey to research on healthy foods, what to eat, how to cook etc.


Some articles found on the internet about soy

http://www.foodrenegade.com/dangers-of-soy/
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/12/04/soy-dangers-summarized.aspx
http://preventdisease.com/news/09/073009_soy_lecithin.shtml



Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Edith, I hope you get around to create something close to the one your granny prepared for you.

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi, thank you so much for sharing your experience! I have no problem eating bland food as I always cook with less oil, less salt...mainly for the benefits of my children. Besides a healthy diet, I believe regular exercises and having enough rest are also key to healthy living.

keenkook said...


Pls note, TOFU is NOT healthy for humans.

It blocks the bddy from absorbing other nutrients & minerals.
Causes a lot of things to go haywire.

Pls read Dr. Mercola.com, tofu.

Only fermented tofu like soya sauce, natto, tempeh fu yee are healthy for the body.

Anything fermented is good for our body : e.g. kimchi.

Thnx,

KeenKook

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Keenkook, thanks for the info.