Thursday 29 May 2008

Our Travel Footprints

By the time this post is published, I will probably be looking out from the window...


and we should be landing in a short while...


and begin our much awaited holidays. It has almost becoming a routine that we visit California once in every two years. If not for the long flight, I bet we would have returned to this place much more frequently!


Not unlike our previous trips, we will make it a point to include many outdoor activities for the kids...lots of rounding around in the park, hiking, picinics, kite flying...


and a mini golf session is a must...


and cherry picking at Brentwood!


This has to be one of my favourite outdoor activities!! I am looking forward to stuffing myself silly with all these cherries again!


and not forgetting these sweet and juicy peaches.

The main highlights of this visit will be a round trip to Lake Tahoe and Yosemite. The last time we went to Lake Tahoe was almost 8 winters ago. I am sure the place will be equally beautiful during the summer.


This will be the first time I will be entering Yosemite by the Tioga Pass entrance. My husband was so happy to know that the Tioga Road has opened and much earlier this year! He can't wait to show us the beautiful scenery along this road that literally cuts across the park from the west to the east.


For the past weeks, I have been reading up on the various hiking trails at the Yosemite. This time round we will give the Mirror Lake trail a miss. I think we are really fortunate to be able to visit this lake twice, both in the winter and in the summer!


I will love to go up to the Glacier Point again.


This photo was taken at the Glacier Point...the view is really incredible, isn't it?! It's really worth the one hour drive up from the valley to the summit. You get to see the entire valley from up here.

We are planning to take the trail to the top of the Sentinel Dome this time...I read that it's quite an easy one-hour trail and I am looking forward to experiencing the panorama views from the summit. We are keeping our fingers crossed that we have enough time to take another hike...up to the top of Vernal Fall. I'm sure it will be fun to be so close to a water fall.


Another place that I will really love to visit is the Big Sur along Highway One.


We never seems to be able to make the trip down ever since we went there several years back! I just want to show my younger boy the magnificent views from the various vista points along this scenic drive. To me, this is the most scenic drive on earth! Somehow, I know, we won't be able to include this place in our trip this time...there are simply too many places to visit and too little time :(

Besides all the sightseeing, we will be indulging ourselves with food that we have been craving for the past two years...my boys have already drawn up a list of eating places that we must go...Krispy Kreme donuts, Popeye's chicken, In & Out burgers, etc, etc.

I will be back in a couple of weeks' time with lots of photos and stories to share with you :)

37 comments:

Sonya said...

I'm sooooo envious. Im originally from Oregon but now live in the netherlands(one year now). I hope you have a wonderful time..eat some ranch dressig and peanutbutter cups for me! lol

Chris, Head Zoo Keeper said...

Your trip sounds like so much fun. I was raised in CA and love the drive down Hwy 1. We are hoping to take our kids to Yosemite next summer.
Have a great time.

Anonymous said...

Happy holiday to you and family. Looking forward to your photos and stories. :)

Small Small Baker said...

Enjoy and have a great time! :)

Yuri said...

Wow, I'm eagerly anticipating the upcoming posts! Hope you have a wonderful holiday :0

Esther said...

Hi HHB

May you have a wonderful & fruitful holiday with your loved ones. :-)

Waiting to hear your exciting stories and see beautiful photos. Your photography skills is quite fantastic.

esther

Ning's Mummy said...

Wow, what a beautiful place!

Wishing you and your family a safe and wonderful trip!

Cuisine Paradise said...

Wow... such a great scence. It's really lovely to go for a short break especially for the kids to experience with some of the things that they can find over here. Like those outdoor actives that you mentioned. :)

So sit back and relac.... ENJOY!!!! Remember to upload more pictures for us to see..... love natural as it is... Thank God for that... :)

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Enjoy your long awaited holiday. Have lots of fun.

Peony said...

have a wonderful and enjoyable well deserved holidays with your love ones.

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi dear all, thanks for your lovely comments. We survived the torturous 18hrs flight...and has since enjoyed the wonderfully cold temperature here! Yes, it is definetly Cold to wake up at 5am (we have yet to get tuned to the time difference) when the room temperature is only about 10-12 degrees! My air-cond at home will never get to reach this level ;)

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Hope you have a wonderful trip! Can't wait to see pictures when you get back.

KWF said...

A holiday is always a very nice satisfying feeling, much the same as a successful bake. Hope you and your family enjoy yourself! Looking forward to all the photos to come.

Unknown said...

Hi SH, the place looks wonderful... so does the cherry and peaches. Looking forward to your return and more updates of your trip. Happy Holidays!!

Aimei said...

Enjoy your trip! Looking forward to your updates! :)

Anonymous said...

can i suggest something?
for example,if you are baking something,can u please post pictures step by step so that its easier for people to understand.although it would be very troublesome.
hahaha!anyway,its only a suggestion.
nice pictures of cakes and cookies!
(:

MH said...

Wow! Magnificient sceneries! Have a safe and enjoyable holiday. :)

serena said...

HHB! It's beautiful! So Green with envy!! Is that the Golden Gate from the pic taken in the plane?

zhengning said...

Haha the pics are beautiful. Love the sceneries :)

Have fun and yup, safe trip!

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is great safe trip. dear all, thanks for your lovely comments. We survived the torturous 18hrs flight...and has since enjoyed the wonderfully cold temperature here! Yes, it is definetly Cold to wake up.the trail to the top.

San San said...

wow, what a wonderful scene and well taken pictures! yeah, sit back, relax & have a fantastic holiday! =)

sherlyn said...

Dear HHB .. i m so late .. not logging in as frequent recently.

Happy holiday .. the scenic drive reminds me of my NZ trip 2 yrs ago.

Waiting patiently for your return... cheers

Anonymous said...

祝你一路顺风,旅途愉快。尽情享受这美好的假期。


Kate Tan

Sunshinemom said...

Have fun....I love the way you have taken snaps hiding the identities...that is clever:)

ochie said...

hii! i'm homemade baker from indonesia.may i know the place in that picture. that's so beatiful!!
by the way could you tell me where i aould find papercup momma, funny toppers cupcakes and funny cookies cutter in singapore? my hubby are going to singapore midd of this month.please email me yoshi.indriani@gmail.com
thank so much!!

Anonymous said...

What beautiful and scenic photos :) Hope you're enjoying yourself right now!

Anonymous said...

Your nice pictures proof that you passed a nice time.I am jealous to see your pictures.Its really so nice.

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi ochiekitchen, I took those pictures at various places in California.
I am not sure what is papercup momma? You can try baking supply stores such as Phoon Huat or Sun Lik. I am sorry, I hardly make cupcakes as such I am not too sure about those items that you are looking for.

mk said...

i used to go pick peaches in brentwood when i was younger!! fresh peaches are da domb :)

Anonymous said...

我用:一份健康的绿豆,一份开心的花生,一份美丽的红豆,一份快乐的调料,包成一个开心粽子送给你,祝端午节节快乐!

Kate Tan

Anonymous said...

I was interested to know about you.Many many thanks for sharing these pictures from your personal life.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I wish I can take part in your holiday!!! Nevertheless, I hope you have fun!!!

Lx said...

Wow...how I envy u.I tried the recipe Strawberry Mango Cake you posted July last year. I bake a Strawberry cake for my Dad. He loves the cake. Thanks for sharing the r. I wish u a wonderful trip wif yr family. May I add your link to my blog?

Lx

Happy Homebaker said...

hi Ix, great to hear that your Dad loves the cake :D
I will be delighted to have you link me up, thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks HHB. Thanks for sharing your holiday pix. They are beautiful!

Lx

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We are planning to Lax this Oct after my son's PSLE we shall set offf..... cant wait...

I would like to get some advise from you.

At first we thought of we juz want to cover Lax and Vegas, but after seeing your pics.... I thought why not Yosemite as well. Do you think its possible ? We will be driving....

Cheers
Ling

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Ling, if you are able to extend for at least another 2 to 3 days, you should visit Yosemite. However, do note the distance, you will need at least a day driving from one place to another. Have fun!!